menu
Kiwanis International is a thriving organization of service-minded men and women who respond to the unique needs of their communities and address worldwide issues by "Serving the Children of the World."

The original Kiwanis Club in St. Charles was founded on May 17, 1923, but on February 22, 1941, during the early war years, the club was disbanded. Our present club was chartered on March 19, 1964 by the Elgin and Bartlett Kiwanis clubs and has become an integral part of the St. Charles community ever since.

The St. Charles kiwanis Club is proud of the many honors it has received since it was reorganized. In 1969, under the leadership of Howard Rasmussen, it was recognized with the Henry J. Elliott Efficiency Trophy as the best "All Around" Club in the Illinois-Easter Iowa District, and also received First Honorable Mention for achievement in all of Kiwanis International. In the 1972-73 year, Governor Tom Trogden of the Illinois-Eastern Iowa District recognized Orv Jones as the most outstanding Club President in the District.

Nineteen of our Presidents have been recognized by Kiwanis International with the Distinguished Past Presidents Award. Ten of our members have received the Distinguished Past Lt. Governors Award, and one, Jeff Wallace, received the Distinguished Past Governors Award for 1999-2000.

Members awarded Life Membership in Kiawanis International by the St. Charles Club fo their outstanding service to youth and the community are Walter Best, HOward Rasmussen, Leo N. Kish, Orv Jones, John Duffy, Jeff Wallace, Dave R. Mack, Paul Conterato and Stu Ainsworth.

We are especially proud of the new Kiwanis Clubs we have organized: Geneva in 1969 and again in 1994; West Chicago-Winfield in 1972-73; St. Charles Morning and new West Chicago Clubs in 1989-90; and the St. Charles Golden-K Clubin 1976-66, 1994 and again in 2001-02. Another outstanding achievement has been the organization of our Key Clubs: St. Charles East High School Key Club in 1969 and St. Charles North High School Key Club in 2000.

In 1982-83, we established the Circle-K Club for our students at Elgin Community College. Our club also established a Key Club at the Valley Lutheran High School and helped organize the Burlington High School Key Club, sponsored by the Elgin Golden-K Club. The Thompson and Haines Middle Schools and the Glenwood School Builders Clubs are our most recent achievments.